Left Navigation

Assigned VIN Examination

Assigned VIN Examination

​​​​​Applying for a new vehicle identification number (VIN) for your vehicle or trailer? Here’s what you need to know about the inspection process.

What to Expect When Your Vehicle or Trailer is Inspected

During the inspection, you must show your operator's licence – or other picture ID if you do not have an operator's licence – and proof of ownership. When applicable, an IBC representative will make a photocopy or take a digital picture of the following documents:

  • ​Proof of vehicle ownership (e.g., registration, bill of sale, new vehicle information statement [NVIS], etc.)
  • Salvage invoice
  • Proof of ownership of components used (e.g., bill of sale)

An IBC representative will then examine your vehicle or trailer and its parts to determine if: 

  • ​The vehicle or trailer has been reported stolen – a new VIN cannot be assigned until the “stolen” status is removed by the police
  • It is unsafe for road use – in some cases, a VIN will not be assigned to a vehicle that uses certain non-repairable parts​

Registering Your Vehicle or Trailer

If IBC assigns a new VIN or confirms the original VIN of the vehicle or trailer after the inspection, our representative will: 

  • ​Install the VIN plate on your vehicle/trailer
  • Give you a copy of the inspection form

To register your vehicle or trailer, you must present the examination form to an Alberta motor vehicle registry agent​. The VIN plate is issued by the Government of Alberta​ and must not be removed from the vehicle. 

If the VIN plate is removed, you must have the vehicle or trailer inspected again and must pay the service fee before IBC will issue an official replacement VIN plate.​

Additional Inspection Requirements May Apply

IBC’s vehicle inspection is not an inspection of the safety and/or mechanical integrity of the vehicle. A Salvage Vehicle Inspection​ or an Out of Province Vehicle Inspection​, at your expense, may be required before the vehicle can be registered in Alberta. Please contact an Alberta motor vehicle registry agent​ for information about registering your vehicle or trailer.

Alberta Transportation has agreements with the police in Alberta and with IBC to share information collected from the users of this service. This is for the purposes of investigating auto theft and auto-related offences, including conspiracy, fraud, possession of stolen property and other related crimes. This information sharing, without the direct consent of the applicant, is authorized under sections 40(1)(e) and (q) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.


For more information, please contact IBC​. In Calgary, please call 403-258-3677; outside of Calgary, please call 1-866-263-6240.