Hail and rain in Alberta: IBC reaches out with tips and information

​JULY 23, 2015 (EDMONTON) – Yesterday, hail and heavy rain hammered parts of Alberta. Today, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is reaching out with advice and information for residents affected by the thunderstorms.

"Extreme weather events have been increasing in severity and frequency, and this summer has unfortunately been no exception here in Alberta," said Bill Adams, Vice-President, Western and Pacific, IBC. "Residents with insurance questions are encouraged to contact their insurance representative or call IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC. We're here to help."

What to expect from your insurance

Hail and Wind damage

  • Damage to homes caused by hail or wind is usually covered under home insurance policies.
    • Policies typically cover damage caused by flying debris or falling branches or trees, or damage to your home and contents from water entering through openings caused by wind or hail.
  • Damage to vehicles caused by wind or hail is usually covered if you have purchased comprehensive or all perils auto insurance.

Water damage

  • Damage as a result of sewer backup may be covered by home insurance if the coverage was purchased as an add-on to the home insurance policy. Varying amounts of sewer backup coverage can be purchased. Check with your insurance representative to see if you have this type of coverage and, if so, how much coverage you purchased.
  • Not all home insurance policies in Canada cover overland flooding and only some offer coverage for ground water seepage.
    • Overland flooding usually occurs when bodies of water, such as rivers, streams, lakes, dams and other watercourses, overflow onto dry land and cause damage.
  • Damage to vehicles caused by water is usually covered if comprehensive or all perils auto insurance has been purchased. This coverage isn't mandatory, so check your policy or talk to your insurance representative to find out if you have it.

Tips for starting the claims process

When safe to do so, take these steps to begin the insurance claims process:

  • Assess and document potential damage. Taking photos can be helpful.
  • Call your insurance representative to report damage.
  • Keep detailed notes and be as detailed as possible when providing information. Be sure to keep all receipts related to cleanup.
  • For further information about home, business or car insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422).

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.

P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 118,000 Canadians, pays $6.7 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $48 billion.  

For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at www.ibc.ca. Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and @IBC_West or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.