Print this page
Educational Overview
Application and Fees
Proof of Your Identity
The Examination
Alberta Assigned VIN Program online form
Printable Form:
Printable application

Alberta Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Program

Information and Instructions

IMPORTANT - Please read before submitting the application.

Please use Microsoft Internet Explorer when submitting an
on-line application.

Educational Overview

The Alberta Assigned VIN Program was created to allow car owners the opportunity to obtain a replacement VIN if their Original Equipment Manufacture's (OEM) VIN was lost, stolen or destroyed. Through the program, a replacement VIN can also be assigned to a home-built or amalgamated vehicle for the purposes of obtaining a Certificate of Registration.

The Assigned VIN Program assigns a 17-digit VIN that adheres to international VIN conventions. This numbering program helps deter auto theft and insurance fraud and aids in the identification of recovered stolen vehicles.

The Alberta Traffic Safety Act and its supporting regulations, Alberta Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation (AR 320/2002) and Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Regulations (AR 318/2002), also provide details to support the Assigned VIN.

IBC administers the Alberta Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Program on behalf of Alberta Transportation.

^Back to top

Application and Fees

Return your completed application and payment (non-refundable) to:


Insurance Bureau of Canada,
Suite 400, 370, 5222-130 Ave. SE
Calgary, Alberta
T2Z 0G4

Payment can be made by credit card (Visa or MasterCard), or by certified cheque or money order made payable to Insurance Bureau of Canada. Cash will not be accepted.

If faxing your application (403-255-9054), please note that payment can be made only by credit card.

Upon receipt of your application and payment, IBC will contact you to schedule a time and place for the examination of the vehicle/trailer.

^Back to top

Proof of Your Identity

At the vehicle/trailer examination you must show your operator's licence (or other picture ID if you do not have an operator's licence) and proof of ownership. Where applicable, IBC will make a photocopy or take a digital picture of the following documents:

  • proof of vehicle ownership (registration, bill of sale, NVIS, etc.)
  • salvage invoice
  • proof of ownership of components used (bill of sale)

^Back to top

The Examination

IBC will examine the vehicle/trailer and its parts to determine if they have been reported stolen. A new VIN cannot be assigned until a “stolen” status has been removed by the police. IBC will also examine the vehicle and its parts to determine if they have a non-repairable (or similar) status. In some cases, a VIN will not be assigned to a vehicle using certain non-repairable parts.

Please note: The vehicle examination conducted by IBC is not an inspection of the safety and/or mechanical integrity of the vehicle. A Salvage Vehicle Inspection or an Out-of-Province Vehicle Inspection, at the applicant's expense, may be required before the vehicle can be registered in Alberta. Please contact an Alberta motor vehicle registry agent for information about registering your vehicle/trailer.

On completion of the examination, IBC may assign a new VIN or confirm the original VIN of the vehicle. IBC will install the VIN plate on the vehicle. A copy of the examination form will be given to you; you must then present this form to an Alberta motor vehicle registry agent to register your vehicle/trailer.

The VIN plate is issued by the Government of Alberta and must not be removed from the vehicle. If it is removed, you must have the vehicle/trailer examined again and pay the service fee before IBC will issue an official replacement VIN plate.

Alberta Transportation has agreements with the police in Alberta and Insurance Bureau of Canada to share information collected from the applicants of this service. This is for the purposes of investigating auto-theft and auto-related offences, including conspiracy, fraud, possession of stolen property and other related crimes. This information-sharing, without the direct consent of the applicant, is authorized under Sections 40(1)(e) and (q) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

For more information:

For more information, please contact IBC. In Calgary call (403) 258-3677; outside of Calgary call 1-866-263-6240.

Click here for the Adobe Acrobat version of the application.

Click here for the online form.

^Back to top

Mazak Award Winner Links | Sitemap | Privacy | Privacy Terminology | Disclaimer    Insurance Bureau of Canada. All rights reserved.