​If you live in a community in southern Ontario, southern Quebec, Atlantic Canada or the Prairies, your tornado risk is higher. Prepare your family and property for a worst-case scenario:

​Wind Happens. Know What Your Insurance Covers

Your insurance representative can confirm the coverage in your current policy. Typically, you can expect the following:

  1. Damage to homes caused by hail, wind, snow or rain is usually covered. This includes:
    1. Losses caused by flying debris or falling branches or trees.
    2. Losses to your home and contents from water or snow entering through sudden openings caused by wind or hail.
  2. Damage to vehicles from wind, hail, ice or water is usually covered if comprehensive or all-perils auto insurance coverage has been purchased. These coverages are not mandatory, so check your policy.
  3. Damage to mobile homes or trailers from wind may be covered. As policy wordings vary, it’s best to ask your insurance representative for more information.
  4. In certain circumstances, homeowners who are unable to live in their homes because of insurable damage may be entitled to additional living expenses.

​Tips for Starting the Claim Process

  • Call your insurance representative or company. Most insurers have a 24-hour claims service. Be as detailed as possible when providing information.
  • List all damaged or destroyed items. If possible, assemble proofs of purchase, photos, receipts and warranties. Take photos of damage incurred and keep damaged items, unless they pose a health hazard.
  • Keep all receipts related to cleanup and living expenses if you’ve been displaced. Ask your insurance representative about what expenses you may be entitled to and for what period of time.