New Brunswick Ice Storm

If your home, car or business was damaged in the New Brunswick ice storm, here is some information to help you understand your insurance coverage and the various stages of the claims process. If you don't see the information you're looking for, contact Insurance Bureau of Canada's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422).

IBC recommends that insured property owners having damage contact their insurance representative as soon as possible to report the damage to their home or business. Coverage and deductibles will vary among individual policies, so it is essential for consumers to speak with their insurance representative to determine exactly what their policy covers.

While waiting for an adjuster to be assigned to their claim, homeowners should:

  • Take pictures and/or video of the damage to their property.
  • Start cleaning up if it is safe to do so.
  • If possible, protect their property from further damage (for example, drain domestic water and heating pipes and drain the hot water tank), remove debris and take other mitigating measures.
  • Keep all receipts for expenses related to the cleanup.
  • Take caution with potential of fire and fumes when using auxillary forms of heat and power.
  • If you need help getting in touch with your insurer, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ASK-IBC (1-844-227-5422).

Weather-related damage caused by a tree or branch falling on a house, shed or fence will be covered under most homeowner policies. If a fallen tree damages a vehicle this will be covered if the insured has 'Comprehensive' or 'All Perils' coverage for their vehicle. As well, most homeowner's policies provide coverage for loss of freezer contents in the event of an extended power outage.  As with other coverages, these claims are subject to the deductible purchased and the terms of individual insurance policies.