Canada's insurance industry ready to help New Brunswickers recover from ice storm damage

​January 31, 2017 (HALIFAX) – New Brunswick insurance providers are closely monitoring recent ice storm damage resulting from power outages and freezing rain in northeastern New Brunswick.

"Like all New Brunswickers, our primary concern is the safety and sheltering of the people affected by the storm," says Amanda Dean, Vice President, Atlantic, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC). "IBC is in contact with representatives from insurance companies, brokers, and officials from the province's Emergency Measures Organization."  

IBC recommends that insured property owners having damage contact their insurance representative as soon as possible to report the damage to their home or business. Coverage and deductibles will vary among individual policies, so it is essential for consumers to speak with their insurance representative to determine exactly what their policy covers.

"Insurers in the region may soon be dealing with a large number of claims," added Dean. "To serve customers quickly, some insurers will be bringing in out-of-province adjusters to help. Usually, urgent claims involving the most extensive damage will be addressed first. Consumers should be assured that once they have reported a loss, their information is in the system and an adjuster will be assigned to their claim."

While waiting for an adjuster to be assigned to their claim, homeowners should:

  • Take pictures and/or video of the damage to their property.
  • Start cleaning up if it is safe to do so.
  • If possible, protect their property from further damage (for example, drain domestic water and heating pipes and drain the hot water tank), remove debris and take other mitigating measures.
  • Keep all receipts for expenses related to the cleanup.
  • Take caution with potential of fire and fumes when using auxillary forms of heat and power.
  • If you need help getting in touch with your insurer, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ASK-IBC (1-844-227-5422).

Weather-related damage caused by a tree or branch falling on a house, shed or fence will be covered under most homeowner policies. If a fallen tree damages a vehicle this will be covered if the insured has 'Comprehensive' or 'All Perils' coverage for their vehicle. As well, most homeowner's policies provide coverage for loss of freezer contents in the event of an extended power outage.  As with other coverages, these claims are subject to the deductible purchased and the terms of individual insurance policies.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.

P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 120,000 Canadians, pays $9 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $49 billion.  

For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and @IBC_Atlantic or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.