Insurance advice and information following severe wind and thunderstorms in New Brunswick

AUGUST 8, 2018 (HALIFAX) – The recent heat wave combined with this week's high humidity triggered a series of severe thunderstorms throughout parts of New Brunswick yesterday. In addition to the heavy rains and high winds that were seen throughout the province, a rare tornado warning was issued by Environment Canada for northwestern New Brunswick.  

There are media reports of roof damage and other damage from wind and fallen trees.    

"First and foremost, everyone's priority must be their personal safety and the safety of loved ones and neighbours," said Amanda Dean, Vice-President, Atlantic, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC). "Residents whose property was damaged should contact their insurance representative to start the claims process as soon as possible. Those with general insurance questions are encouraged to contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC."  

Wind happens. Every policy is different. Know what your insurance covers.

Your insurance representative can confirm the coverage you have with your current policy. Damage to homes caused by hail, wind or rain is usually covered. Here's what you can expect:

  • Losses caused by flying debris or fallen trees and/or branches are usually covered.
  • Losses to your home and contents from water entering through openings suddenly caused by wind are also usually covered.
  • Damage to vehicles from wind or water is usually covered if you have comprehensive coverage as part of your policy. This coverage is optional, so check with your insurance representative to see what coverage you have purchased.

In certain circumstances, homeowners who are unable to live in their homes because of insurable damage may be entitled to additional living expenses. Check with your insurance representative to find out what your policy covers.

Tips for starting the claims process

When it is safe to do so, take these steps to begin the insurance claims process:

  • Assess and document potential damage. Taking photos can be helpful.
  • Call your insurance representative or your insurer's claims department to report your damage.
  • Keep good notes and be as detailed as possible when providing information. Be sure to keep all receipts related to cleanup.
  • Contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422) if you need further information about home, business or car insurance.

​About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.

P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 120,000 Canadians, pays $9 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $52 billion.  

For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and @IBC_Atlantic or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.