Left Navigation

Dispute Resolution

Dispute Resolution

​You have options when filing a complaint. Start by getting more information from your insurer. Consider contacting the company’s ombudsperson. If your dispute is not resolved, you can contact the General Insurance OmbudService (GIO) or a federal or provincial Superintendent of Insurance.​

​Consider These 4 Steps to Resolve a Dispute

If you have a complaint about your insurer or insurance professional, here’s an overview of options to help ensure your concerns are addressed. ​

  1. Get more information from your insurer.
    1. Ask your broker, agent, company representative or claims adjuster for an explanation. Insurance policies are legal contracts that specify the rights and responsibilities of both parties – sometimes misunderstandings arise.
    2. If you have further questions, ask to speak with the claim supervisor.
    3. You might also contact the IBC Consumer Information Centre. Our independent staff have years of insurance experience and can answer questions about:
      1. Technicalities of policy wordings and coverage
      2. How insurance companies handle claims
      3. Buying, renewing or updating insurance coverage
      4. How to proceed with a complaint
  2. Contact your insurance company's ombudsperson. All licensed insurers have a dispute resolution process and a complaints liaison officer.
    1. When you make a complaint:
      1. Make your concern clear and clearly state what you expect
      2. Have all pertinent information and documentation available
      3. Allow time for your insurer to investigate and answer your complaint
      4. Make sure you keep a record of the people you talked to and what was said.
  3. Use the General Insurance OmbudService (GIO). If your matter is not resolved with your insurer's complaints liaison officer, request a final position letter and contact GIO. GIO is an independent, regionally based consumer dispute-resolution system for the insurance industry. Its members include most federally licensed and several provincially incorporated insurers. GIO helps you and your insurer resolve differences about claims-related matters and interpretation of policy coverage in a fair, independent and impartial environment
  4. Contact a federal or provincial Superintendent of Insurance. If your dispute is not resolved by GIO or if your insurer is not a member of GIO, get in touch with a Superintendent of Insurance.
​Office of th​e Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) 

​OSFI monitors the financial strength and investment policies of all federally licensed insurers.​

​Property and Casualty Insurance Compensation Corporation (PACICC) 

​While insurance company insolvencies are very rare, when they occur, PACICC protects consumers.​

​Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) 

​FCAC protects and educates consumers in the area of financial services. FCAC oversees financial institutions to ensure they comply with federal consumer protection measures.​


​Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF) 

​​As an alternative to GIO in Quebec, you may go straight to AMF, the provincial regulator.

​Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators (CCIR) ​

​Provincial insurance regulators work together through CCIR and monitor the solvency of insurers incorporated in their respective provinces. They ensure that insurers’ pricing, underwriting and claims handling practices are fair. They also handle complaints, mediations and arbitrations and issue fines.​​​

British Columbia






New Brunswick

Nova Scotia

Prince Edward Island

Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories



​​This is a list of superintendents of insurance, advocates and others who will help address your concerns.


​Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia,
Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador

​These provinces also have provincial rate boards to regulate and guarantee that auto insurance prices are related to the costs of providing this insurance.​