Left Navigation

Dispute Resolution – Ontario

Ontario Insurance Disputes

If your insurance dispute is not resolved by your insurer’s complaint officer, and if your complaint is about the actions of an insurance company, contact the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA). Be sure to ask for a written statement from your insurance company before you contact FSRA. If you have a complaint about a broker, contact the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO).

FSRA regulates the insurance industry in Ontario and provides a final resort for the resolution of complaints about the business practices (market conduct) of insurance companies. If you believe that Ontario's Insurance Act and/or regulations have been violated by your insurance company, agent or adjuster, you can contact FSRA. See How to Resolve an Insurance Complaint. Insurance companies in Ontario are required to designate a complaints officer to receive consumer complaints about business practices, and to refer unresolved complaints to an independent third party for review. Most insurance companies are members of a national industry OmbudService. Where this is not the case, FSRA generally acts as the independent third party. To file a complaint with FSCO, complete and submit the Insurance Business Activity Complaint Form. The office can be reached at: Financial Services Commission of Ontario Licensing and Market Conduct Division Insurance Company Complaint 5160 Yonge Street, 4th Floor PO Box 85 Toronto, ON M2N 6L9 Phone: 416-250-7250 Toll-free: 1-800-668-0128 Fax: 416-590-8480 fsco.gov.on.ca The Complaints and Investigation Department of the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO) is responsible for monitoring the conduct and financial position of all insurance brokers in Ontario. If you have an enquiry or a complaint against broker, contact RIBO’s Consumer Complaints Officer or the Complaints and Investigations Manager.

RIBO 401 Bay Street Suite 1200, P.O. Box 45 Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4 Phone: 416- 365-1900 Toll-free: 1-800-265-3097 Fax: 416- 365-7664