IBC Encourages Atlantic Canadians to Prepare for Spring Storm

April 3, 2019 (HALIFAX) – Environment Canada issued a mixture of snowfall and rainfall warnings for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador. Atlantic Canadians are encouraged to monitor their local weather. The region has seen rain and snow combined with high winds overnight and is expected to continue throughout the day.

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) would like consumers to prepare for potential flooding to protect themselves from harm. During a severe weather event, everyone's priority must be their personal safety and the safety of loved ones and neighbours.

Many Canadian insurers now offer some form of overland flood insurance for homeowners which, along with sewer backup coverage, helps reduce the financial hardship of these events. However, most often these products are optional and may need to be added to your home insurance policy, so it's important to check with your insurer to confirm whether you have coverage or if you are able to purchase it.

What to expect from insurance coverage for water damage

  • Damage as a result of sewer backup may be covered by home insurance if the coverage was either included in your home policy or you purchased it as an add-on to your policy.  Varying amounts of sewer backup coverage might be available to you, so contact your insurance representative to discuss.
  • Damage to vehicles caused by water is usually covered if you carry comprehensive or all perils coverage, but remember this  coverage isn't mandatory, so check your policy or talk to your insurance representative.
  • Not all home insurance policies in Canada cover overland flooding and only some offer coverage for groundwater seepage.
    • Overland flooding usually occurs when bodies of water, such as rivers, streams, lakes, dams and other watercourses, overflow onto dry land and cause damage.

Tips for starting the claims process

When it is safe to do so, take these steps to begin the insurance claims process:

  • Assess and document potential damage. Taking photos can be helpful.
  • Call your insurance representative to report your damage.
  • Keep good notes and be as detailed as possible when providing information. Be sure to keep all receipts related to cleanup.
  • Contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422 ext 228) if you need further information about home, business or car insurance,

For more information on how to protect property against severe weather, floods and other disasters, visit IBC's website.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada’s private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.

P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 126,000 Canadians, pays $9 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $54.7 billion.

For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at www.ibc.ca. Follow us on Twitter @InsuranceBureau or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC.