Left Navigation

Insurance Disputes

Insurance Disputes

​If you have an auto insurance complaint, start by asking your insurer for more information. If you remain dissatisfied, consider contacting the company’s ombudsperson. ​

​If you feel your complaint about vehicle damage requires additional attention for it to be resolved, contact Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF). If the complaint is about bodily injuries incurred doing a collision, contact Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec’s (SAAQ’s) Customer Satisfaction Centre or Protecteur du citoyen. ​​​

Resolving a Dispute for Damage to Your Vehicle

Follow these steps until your dispute is resolved

  1. Ask your insurer for more information.
    1. Your broker and/or agent, company representative or claims adjuster can offer additional explanation. Insurance policies are legal contracts that specify the rights and responsibilities of both parties, and misunderstandings can arise.
    2. If you have further questions, ask to speak with the claim supervisor.
  2. You might also contact the IBC Consumer Information Centre at 1-866-2ASK-IBC. IBC’s independent staff have years of insurance experience and can answer questions about:
    1. Technicalities of policy wordings and coverage
    2. How insurance companies handle claims
    3. Buying, renewing or updating insurance coverage
    4. How to proceed with a complaint
  3. Contact your insurance company’s ombudsperson. All licensed insurers have a dispute-resolution process and complaints liaison officer.
    1. When you make a complaint:
      1. Make your concern clear and clearly state what you expect
      2. Have all pertinent information and documentation available
      3. Allow time for your insurer to investigate and answer your complaint
      4. Make sure you keep a record of who you talked to and what he or she said
  4. Get in touch with General Insurance OmbudService (GIO). If your matter is not resolved with your insurer’s complaints liaison officer, request a final position letter and contact GIO. As an independent, regionally based, consumer dispute-resolution system for the insurance industry, GIO’s members include most federally licensed and several provincially incorporated insurers. GIO can help you and your insurer resolve differences about claims-related matters and the interpretation of policy coverage in a fair, independent, impartial manner.
  5. Contact AMF. If your dispute is not resolved by GIO or if your insurer is not a member of GIO, get in touch with AMF.  As the regulatory body for Quebec’s financial sector, it protects consumers, enforces applicable regulations and monitors financial markets. AMF has set up an Information Centre to assist consumers; it includes a complaint receipt and examination centre.
Information Centre - Consumer Assistance
Autorité des marchés financiers Québec City: 418-525-0311
Montréal: 514-395-0311
Toll-free: 1-866-526-0311
E-mail: renseignements-consommateur@lautorite.qc.ca
Resolving a Dispute for Bodily Injury
Here’s a step-by-step approach to resolving your dispute:
  1. Contact SAAQ.  This government body covers bodily injury in Quebec. SAAQ has a Customer Satisfaction Centre that you can contact to discuss your complaint.
333, boulevard Jean-Lesage
Quebec City, PQ G1K 8J6
Tel.: 418-528-4949
Toll-free: 1-866-891-6545
Fax: 418-646-4777 
Fax toll-free: 1-866-632-2189
  1. Contact Protecteur du citoyen. If you disagree with SAAQ  about the amount of compensation you are entitled to, 
    You will need to complete a complaint form. You can also call or file your claim in person at the Protecteur du citoyen's Quebec City or Montreal office:

Quebec City
525, boul. René-Lévesque Est, Bureau 1.25 
Quebec, PQ G1R 5Y4          
Tel.: 418-643-2688 
Toll-free: 1-800-463-5070         
Fax: 1-866-7130 

Montreal, PQ H2Z 1S8
Tel.: 514-873-2032 
Toll-free: 1-800-463-5070
Fax: 1-866-902-7130